Immigration Legal Assistant (to become a DOJ Accredited Immigration Representative at Pars Equality Center)
Pars Equality Center
San Jose, CA
Full Time, Exempt
The Legal Department of Pars Equality Center San Jose is hiring a full time (Dari/Pashto speaking preferred) Immigration Legal Assistant to support our Afghan Support Project (ASP). This project is working on a national level to address the Afghan crisis by providing immigration legal assistance to support the arrival of Afghan nationals in the United States, equipping and empowering the community by way of Know Your Rights events, and training/onboarding volunteers. The legal assistant position will support the ASP by providing administrative support, legal services and education to qualified individuals on-site at our office in San Jose, and at or near Afghan Coalition in Fremont, California.
Pars Equality Center is a DOJ Recognized 501(c)(3). Pars Equality Center may subsequently apply, and plan to obtain DOJ accreditation for the employee, who with such accreditation will be able to provide immigration legal services solely within Pars Equality Center.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide assistance to lower income and indigent community members by assisting with client intakes, maintaining contact, and assisting in the preparation of affirmative and defensive immigration cases for submission to USCIS, NVC, and EOIR under the supervision of the Legal Director and Immigration Attorneys on staff. The individual will report to the Legal Director.
- Perform general office tasks such as managing the ASP’s large email box and responding to inquiries in a timely manner, data entry, copying, maintaining legal digital and physical files, answering and calling individuals, assisting with scheduling for attorneys and other staff, and coordinating and creating flyers and print materials for outreach.
- Maintaining and creating new partnerships, recruiting volunteers and managing ASP files and ensuring community outreach by way of our website, social media and other platforms.
- Undergo necessary training in order to apply to become a Partially Accredited DOJ Representative, and continue legal education thereafter to maintain immigration legal knowledge.
- Organize and conduct Community Education and Outreach (includes driving within Santa Clara & Alameda County and surrounding areas for outreach and event purposes).
- Organize and conduct Community Mobile and On-site Legal Clinics.
- Complete grant reports and assist attorneys with other reporting requirements.
- Assist in identifying government and non-government grant opportunities and draft Request for Proposals to obtain funding for Pars Equality Center’s services.
- Perform all other duties as needed and/or as directed by supervisor.
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Dari language proficiency. Strong preference given to applicants with Dari written and oral proficiency; Pashto language is also a plus
- Must have Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- College degree (Associates Degree will be considered)
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in an office/administrative setting
- Experience working on affirmative immigration relief, including Applications for Naturalization, Adjustment of Status, and Family Petitions is preferred but not required.
- Strong computer literacy skills, including Excel, Word, Box, Outlook, and ability to learn to use the Legal Data Management system (Cerenade), and knowledge of social media outreach and resources
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail and manage multiple assignments
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented multi-cultural work environment serving individuals from various cultures and backgrounds with compassion
- Must have strong organization skills
- Must have ability to work in a fast-paced deadline driven environment
- Flexibility to work some weekends
- CA Driver License and vehicle
- Prior experience working at a nonprofit organization is not required but preferred
Salary: Commensurate with experience